A blog about design, education and anything else that takes my fancy

Thursday, August 16, 2007

'Mickey Mouse' subjects aren't 'easier'...

The A-level results were published today (for those not in the UK, those are the qualifications studied at 17-18 years and used to gain entry to university).
Once again, grades are improving, sparking the usual crap about them getting easier, usually from people who think we should still be using slide rules in maths and not teaching people about media literacy.

But there are some interesting things in there. For a long time it's been claimed that students are choosing 'soft' subjects like arts and media studies over 'hard' subjects like maths and science because they're easier.

Well take a look at the results presented here and see if gambling on getting a higher grade in media studies over maths is one that will pay off.

To my eyes, giving this a quick glance would suggest not that it's easier to get an A in science than it is in media studies (the comparison's bizarre - apples and oranges) but simply that media studies isn't a ticket to a guaranteed 'A'.
Maybe some students are choosing media studies rather than science for ease rather than interest, but anyone who thinks media theory is a walk in the park clearly hasn't read any! (I mean, really, I dare you).

Something else that strikes me about the results is the remarkably even distribution of grades. Hardly a bell curve in sight except maybe for business studies - another 'soft' subject that seems rather loathe to award A grades.

All very interesting...
I have no idea what it means, though, to be honest, and I wish the idiots who get trotted out at this time of year would admit they don't either. It is possible for more people to get better grades than fifty years ago - it's what you'd expect of any civilisation that claims to be advancing.

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

It's the same old argument every single year; A Levels are getting easier.

I remember last year when I got my results. I was ecstatic, and then I started hearing all the usual crap about them getting easier. It just brings you down at a time when you should be celebrating.

I remember doing my A Levels well. I also remember that they were NOT easy.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, when I first read this article, I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April fools day. Do you genuinely believe an A-level in Media Studies etc requires as much academic prowess as one in Maths/Physics/Chemistry? There's a reason why universities like Cambridge and LSE have a blacklist of A-levels, you know.

Oh yeah, as for your comparison for the number of A grades in each subject – are you seriously not able to spot the huge fundamental flaw in that???????? Maybe this comes as no surprise, since you most probably haven’t studied a subject that requires real academic rigor, but take it from me, your comparison is moronic. The students taking these Mickey Mouse A-levels are obviously going possess a fraction of the academic ability than those taking the “proper” A-level subjects. Find me some figures for students who have taken both Media Studies and Maths, for example – that would give a clearer picture.

Now, I realise this all may seem rather unpalatable to people like you, but it is an unassailable fact that certain people are always going to be more intelligent than others.

Jonathan said...

Well clearly studying an 'academic' subject has helped your rationality no end.

If you think 'Media Studies' is not academic, then may I suggest you read some Foucault, or Barthes, or Baudrillard? Then when your head has stopped hurting, come back and say that.
You might at least have developed the abilty to conduct a debate without resorting to insults. "People like you" indeed...

"since you most probably haven’t studied a subject that requires real academic rigor"

Oh dear. Wrong.

"but it is an unassailable fact that certain people are always going to be more intelligent than others."

And what's that to do with anything?
Firstly, you're wrong - 'ability' is brought out by your environment. Given the right opportunities, any child can demonstrate intelligence. Just go and read the academic research - or do you think that education is not a legitimate area of academic study as well?

I think you're labouring under the misapprehension that 'media studies' is watching soap operas and learning to switch on the TV. It isn't - or at least it shouldn't be. I have no doubt (in fact I know from experience) that there are many media studies degrees that are worthless. But many are excellent and demand real intelligence to get through them.

Given the power of the media to distort the way we look at the world, do you not think it's as important to study it and understand it as it is to study chemistry?

Anonymous said...

I’m sorry, but there is no conceivable way Media/Tourism/Wine Studies etc etc require as much academic ability as a proper academic subject. You are simply living in perpetual blissful ignorance if you believe this. Merely telling me to go and read something does not substantiate an argument. I want you to show me. You have to ask yourself, why it is only the third rate Mickey Mouse universities offering Mickey Mouse degree courses that have such pathetically low entry requirements – please try and put 2 + 2 together.

Apologies for the deprecating tone in a couple of my comments, but some of your statements were so immensely flawed, that I concluded there was only one earthly conclusion that could be conceived. And if you did study a well respected subject, I only said you “most probably” hadn’t.

Please answer the question, why do you think two of the finest academic institutions (Cambridge and LSE) in the world have a black list of A-levels? The answer should be manifestly blatant to most.

My comment about intelligence was made as you appear to have a pathological aversion to admitting students opt for the easier subjects purely because they have limited intellectual prowess.

As for you groundless assertions vis-à-vis intelligence, that it is solely down to environment – are you being deadly serious????????? Surely you’re not suggesting that intelligence is solely based on environment.

If you would like to have other views in a debate about Mickey Mouse subjects, may I suggest you frequent the Student Room website. A word of warning, you may find the vast majority of views expressed over there unpalatable – don’t say I didn’t warn you if it causes you too much grief.

As for your assertions that A-levels haven’t become easier, that is just flatly incorrect. Any Maths teacher, for example, will tell you how the syllabus has been significantly reduced over the years. Here is a discussion about A-levels becoming easier on the Student Room website (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437966), and surprise surprise, the general consensus is that clearly they are due to a multitude of irrefutable reasons.

Oh and this straight from the horses mouth; this last year I have been doing Maths tutoring (before I use my maths degree from a very well respected university to get a job earning millions in the City, LOL), and I can categorically tell you I can see a difference in standard this year compared to when I took A-level Maths several years ago.

“Given the power of the media to distort the way we look at the world, do you not think it's as important to study it and understand it as it is to study chemistry?”

Anyone with even a semblance of intellectual fortitude possesses the ability to think for themselves and understand what is happening in the world, without needing to study Media Studies. Secondly, if people want to work in the Media, and develop the ability articulating themselves eloquently and spotting flaws in their studies, surely it would be far more valuable doing something like History, Politics, English, Law or Philosophy etc. Though, compared to the likes of Maths/Physics/Engineering etc, those degrees are still a walk in the park. Oh yes, studying an academic degree like Physics opens up a plethora of opportunities in the job market that Mickey Mouse degrees do not - that is indisputable. Take a look at any careers website or ask a careers advisor if it helps, or look at graduate profiles of different companies.

Out of interest, what is your academic background? I promise not to take the Mickey, so be honest, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I think the anonymous maths graduate here asks some valid questions about how value judgements around subjects are made, all be it in a disturbingly elitist, class-ridden and 19th century way. Nonetheless, his counter argument is riddled with inaccuracies, conjecture and ignorance about both the core functions of education (It's really not just so some posh boy can rake it in, in a city job devoid of real meaning), and bodies of thought that have informed pedagogy in the 20th century - Freire for example. Also a lack of understanding of the value of other forms of study that progress in thnking have allowed - e.g. the value of studying the popular. As a result, I am dismayed he is letting himself loose, unqualified, in a teaching situation. Ought to be a law against that.

Visit my 'official' site

www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
contains links to my articles and books.

Tags

Books by Jonathan Baldwin

Visual Communication: From Theory to Practice (Winner of 'Best Higher Education Title' at the British Book Awards 2006) by Jonathan Baldwin and Lucienne Roberts Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

More Than A Name: An introduction to branding by Melissa Davis and Jonathan Baldwin Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

Blog Archive

Followers