A blog about design, education and anything else that takes my fancy

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Ten Myths About Teaching Graphic Design

I've been a little distracted recently (some good distractions, some not so good) so haven't been as active on this blog as I would have liked.

But with teaching over for another academic year I find myself unemployed for two days a week (which has its upsides despite the sudden drop in income) and the prospect of a six week summer holiday looming into which I am supposed to fit planning for a course I don't even know I'm going to teach until two days before it starts, writing a book proposal (actually, two book proposals, but only one of which I'm really that keen on), getting some freelance writing commissions going (when editors change it can often lead to a slack period), devising a reasearch proposal for bidding in October, and designing a web site for a new client. So as usual my "holiday" will in fact turn out to be busier than ever. No wonder last year I ended up in hospital at the end of the same period! Oh, and I'm learning PHP and MySQL too...

I started catching up with the most recent year's worth of Emigre today - an interesting publication to be sure, and one I'd quite like to write for if only I had the time(!) Just glancing through it reminded me that one of the things I wanted to do was write down some of the things I've heard said about teaching graphic design over the past few years that really bug me, and that's what I plan to do here over the next few weeks.

So if I'm quiet it's because I'm compiling counterarguments to "Ten Myths About Teaching Graphic Design". I'm not sure yet whether I will write each one in full separately, or simply post short thoughts as they occur to me, to be compiled into something more intelligable later. For now, I'm just going to post what I think the top ten myths are. They may change later, I don't know. But I'd be interested in receiving immediate reactions to the list, either via the comments facility here (which I'm told nobody likes registering for which is why most comments just come to me directly - you can post anonymously if you like) or via email. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from supporters of the different positions, or devil's advocates. But all comments welcome.

So here, for the moment at least, are the ten myths:


  1. Theory is 20% of the subject

  2. Art direction is the same as teaching

  3. Only the best students should be allowed on courses

  4. Our job is to train people for industry

  5. Only good designers can teach design

  6. Teachers are born not made

  7. All judgements are subjective

  8. You can't teach creativity

  9. There is no such thing as a right answer

  10. Graphic Design is conceptual

  11. You only learn by doing

  12. Graphic Design is taken by students who are thick



Okay, I know that's twelve... I suspect one or two are quite similar so will be merged at some point, as "ten" is such a nice round number. But at one point or more, each of these points has been made to me by design teachers (not just of graphics) and for some reason my blood has boiled.

Anyway, that's it for now as one of my distractions is coming round for dinner soon...

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

TomGleason said...

Myth: Theory is 20% of the subject
T: I'd say it's probably the 80, to be provocative. But if you disagree with a simple flip-flop, then I'm interested in hearing how you'll shift the paradigm from the false duality of theory/practice to something else.

Myth: Art direction is the same as teaching
T: I would guess that art directors have an interest in keeping their secrets (not just trade secrets that make them able to command art director salaries, but also the dirty behind-the-scenes business strategies, etc.) and hiding the grand scheme as much as possible from the grunts. Sounds silly, but it must happen! Atomic bombs get made, and so does graphic design. At the highest levels of idiotic making (much advertising) many of the creators tend to be anonymous. Just a thought.

Myth: Only the best students should be allowed on courses
-If that were true, what a great way to level it all the to lowest common denominator! In a way, I don't think anyone should be allowed to take most of these courses.

More later hopefully...

TomGleason said...

Myth: Teachers are born not made
This answer to this is similar to the existentialist idea of existence before essence, rather than essence before existence. You become a teacher by acting as one.Then again, everyone teaches in their own way.

Myth: You can't teach creativity
I definitely disagree with that!

Myth: There is no such thing as a right answer
Given criteria, of course there is.

Visit my 'official' site

www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
contains links to my articles and books.

Tags

Books by Jonathan Baldwin

Visual Communication: From Theory to Practice (Winner of 'Best Higher Education Title' at the British Book Awards 2006) by Jonathan Baldwin and Lucienne Roberts Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

More Than A Name: An introduction to branding by Melissa Davis and Jonathan Baldwin Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

Followers