A blog about design, education and anything else that takes my fancy

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bargain flights, high environmental cost

I'm visiting Dundee shortly and was comparing the cost of flights with rail travel. Ideally I'd go by train (it's a rare chance to read) but the return journey is 12 hours long and would mean getting back home at 5am so the alternative of an hour-long flight appeals more. Not sure how many trees I'll have to plant to make up for the carbon I'll produce (I flew to Glasgow and back last week - quite the jet-setter all of a sudden).
Anyway, I looked online for the best price for the flight and you can imagine my surprise at the lowest quote I got:



Yes, that's right: £10,165.80 ($18,408.23) for a one-hour flight.

Try as I might, that was the same price everywhere! Until I thought about going direct to ScotAirways's web site where I managed to purchase the ticket for around £150 - about the same as the rail fare. Something odd going on there, clearly, but it was a bit of a shock...

Incidentally, the amount of carbon I would produce by flying is approximately 193kg, eight times the 23.8kg I'd produce taking the train. The same figures are true of my flight to Glasgow too. Normally I use the train and in fact have only ever flown once before (to the Republic of Ireland and back in 2002) so while I feel somewhat guilty, compared with a lot of people I think my record is pretty good. Mind you, if flights really were priced at £10,000 an hour maybe we would all cut back on this form of travel.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Visit my 'official' site

www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
contains links to my articles and books.

Tags

Books by Jonathan Baldwin

Visual Communication: From Theory to Practice (Winner of 'Best Higher Education Title' at the British Book Awards 2006) by Jonathan Baldwin and Lucienne Roberts Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

More Than A Name: An introduction to branding by Melissa Davis and Jonathan Baldwin Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

Followers