A blog about design, education and anything else that takes my fancy

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Big Brother Amazon is Watching You

This is why I don't think books are going to be replaced by e-readers anytime soon. Bizarre (and ironic):

Amazon apparently sent out its robotic droogs last night, deleting copies of the George Orwell novels Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four from Kindles without explanation, then refunding the purchase price. As you can imagine, a lot of people caught in the thick of Winston and Julia's love story aren't very happy -- and rightfully so -- the idea that we "own" the things we buy is pretty fundamental to... ownership.


Jeff Jarvis Kevin Marks says "I dread to think what happens if you buy Fahrenheit 451 for your Kindle..."

The Guardian covers the story too and Talking Points Memo is calling it a "big, big step backwards" for the platform. David Pogue of The New York Times is also covering it.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't say that. Kevin Marks did. I was just retweeting his great line.

Jonathan said...

Thanks, Jeff, I've corrected it - that's what happens with several generations of retweets!

Rachel Lewis Illustration said...

That's crazy. Rights issues are a bit of a minefield in this digital age, even when you think you're getting something legit.

Another reason why I think physical books are still better.

Visit my 'official' site

www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk
contains links to my articles and books.

Tags

Books by Jonathan Baldwin

Visual Communication: From Theory to Practice (Winner of 'Best Higher Education Title' at the British Book Awards 2006) by Jonathan Baldwin and Lucienne Roberts Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

More Than A Name: An introduction to branding by Melissa Davis and Jonathan Baldwin Buy from Amazon.com Buy from Amazon.co.uk

Followers