The couple in the basement flat next door to me are moving out today, which is a shame. I don't know them at all - I think I said 'hi' to one of them once in the past 18 months - but they are quiet, which is a real bonus. (Well, let's just say that they are mostly quiet. I've learnt an awful lot about lesbianism since I moved here - I'll leave it at that for now).
The street I'm on is generally really good (certainly at my end - as you go further down it turns a bit studenty and noisier). The flat at the top of next door is occupied by someone who's taken to playing dance music until 5am every so often, but the council are on to them so fingers crossed. The other day they had friends round and were cheering out of the window from 7pm until 2am - for no reason...
But I'm worried about these two moving out because there's a chance some raving party animal will take their place. I once had the misfortune to live above someone who was in to mixing, but only seemed to mix the same few seconds of the same record. It was so loud my flat used to shake.
I'm not sure what it is about people that makes them decide they're going to ruin other people's quiet enjoyment of their own homes. Seems about as selfish as you can get.
I'm hoping that as the flats round here are quite expensive (well over £150,000 to buy and at least £600 per month to rent) that whoever moves in will be respectful of the neighbourhood. Otherwise I can see myself having to move out again in the vain search for some peace and quiet.
No comments:
Post a Comment